Motor Vehicle Accidents
What happens if you are injured in an Uber accident or car crash?
Most of us trust that we’ll be driven safely when we take an Uber or rideshare service, but accidents can still happen. In these cases, you might wonder who is responsible for covering your injuries.
Fortunately, you are covered for injuries sustained while driving in any private vehicle, including a rideshare. Here’s how it works.
What happens if my Uber driver crashes and I am injured?
Following an Uber accident, take all the same steps you would after an accident in your own vehicle.
- Assess the safety of the situation and check for injuries.
- Get as many details as you can at the scene, including photos and the other driver’s details.
- Report the incident to the police.
- Report the incident to Uber (or other rideshare service) via their app or website. If you believe the driver of your rideshare was at fault, you may wish to make a dangerous driving complaint too.
- Seek medical attention. Remember that some injuries may worsen weeks or months after the accident, so it’s important to attend even if you don’t believe you have been seriously injured.
- File a motor vehicle accident (MVA) claim if your injuries prevent you from working.
Am I covered as a passenger if I’m injured while riding in an Uber vehicle?
Yes. Like all registered Australian vehicles, rideshare cars are required to hold compulsory third party (CTP) insurance, which covers passengers in the event of an accident.
Are Uber drivers insured?
All Uber vehicles must hold CTP insurance, just like any other car on the road. A contingent liability policy also covers Uber drivers for up to $20 million, so there should be no financial barriers to compensation.
What do I do if I have been in an accident with an Uber driver?
Because Ubers are private vehicles owned by their drivers, the process is exactly the same as it would be for a crash with any other vehicle. Gather as much evidence as you can, file a police report, have your injuries assessed, and then file a CTP claim with the support of an experienced motor vehicle accident lawyer.
Make a motor vehicle accident claim today
LHD Lawyers help everyday Australians receive the benefits they are entitled to for motor vehicle accident claims. We are so sure of our abilities to win your case that we stand firmly by our No Win No Fee Policy. Call 1800 455 725 to arrange a consultation.