Car Accident Lawyers servicing all of Queensland, including the Gold Coast, Brisbane and Cairns
*This page is written specifically for a Queensland audience. Restrictions in these states prohibit us from showing certain information regarding our legal services, so if you are located outside Queensland, please click here for information on motor accident claims.
If you have been involved in a car accident in Queensland (whether you were the driver or the passenger, driving for work purposes or otherwise) you may be entitled to make a car accident compensation claim under Queensland law.
LHD Lawyers have expert car accident lawyers in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and Cairns that can provide legal advice following an accident or injury. All of our car accident lawyers operate on a No Win No Fee policy, which means you will only pay if we are successful in winning your compensation claim.
What should I do after a car or vehicle accident?
Being the victim of a car accident can be a stressful ordeal and it can be hard to deal with the shock of what’s happened. However it is vital to know the right steps to take after an accident. Here’s what you should do:
Make sure everyone is safe and don’t panic
Gather information from the other driver including name, phone number, car registration details, insurance information (provider, insurance number and policy details) and drivers licence number.
Don’t admit fault
Gather contact information from witnesses (in situations where fault may be disputed, accounts if witnesses could help your claim).
Take pictures of the scene of the accident, of the damage to cars and property
Call and report the accident to the police
Call your insurance provider
Seek legal advice: contact our experienced team of car accident lawyers on 1800 455 725
Compulsory Third Party (CTP) compensation claims
If you’ve been injured while driving and the accident was the total or partial fault of another driver, then Compulsory Third Party (CTP) claims can cover your costs. Even if you’re a passenger in the vehicle that was at-fault during the accident, this type of claim can also cover you.
You’ll need to make a third party insurance claim within one month of consulting a lawyer or nine months after the date of the accident. It is best to contact us as soon as possible after the accident so we can provide you with expert legal advice to ensure you’ll receive the maximum amount of compensation.
To make a third party (CTP) insurance claim, you’ll need to report the incident to the police (LHD Lawyers can help you with this), find out the insurer of the at-fault driver, submit a Notice of Accident Claim Form, and obtain a medical certificate from your doctor in regard to your injuries.
Common injuries in car accidents
Motor vehicle compensation is often awarded to people who have suffered from common vehicle injuries such as whiplash, back, neck, head, brain and spinal injuries, and psychological damage. We can ensure your car accident or motorcycle accident claim case is prepared properly and efficiently, ensuring the best possible outcome.
Who can make a motor vehicle or car accident claim?
- Driver or passengers who have sustained injuries where another vehicle driver was at fault
- Any passenger of a vehicle
- Any pedestrian hit by a vehicle
- Passengers of public transport
- Children involved in accidents
- Motorcyclist or motorbike riders
- A cyclist hit by a vehicle or the vehicle causing an accident with a cyclist
You may be able to claim even if you were only partly to blame for the accident.
What can I claim compensation for after a car accident?
When negotiating your compensation, some of the things your lawyer will consider include (however are not limited to):
- How severe your injuries are
- The amount of pain and suffering you are experiencing
- How much you have lost and will lose in wages
- Past and future medical treatment, expenses and care
- Out of pocket expenses such as travel costs and prescription medication
- Past and future loss of superannuation contributions
- Weekly payments covering time off work in the past and the future
- Lump-sum compensation if you have suffered permanent injury
- Rehabilitation and assistance required around the house.
LHD Lawyers are the Brisbane car accident lawyers that will be able to help you successfully claim the compensation you deserve. Once your lawyer has assessed your situation they will be able to give you a good idea of what you can and can’t claim compensation for.
What is the car accident claims process?
Every car accident claim for compensation is different however the below steps give a good indication of how the process works with LHD Lawyers.
- Get in touch with us - call us on 1800 455 725 to get expert advice from our legal team
- We’ll organise a meeting to assess your claim
- We’ll gather your evidence
- Wait for your injury to stabilise
- Attend medical examinations
- We’ll arrange a settlement conference
- If you’re successful, you’ll receive compensation
How long after a motor or car accident can you claim?
Making a motor accident claim comes with strict time limits, meaning it’s important to make a claim as soon as possible to increase your chances of receiving compensation for your injuries. These time limits include:
- Accident notification claim: Lodged with CTP insurer of the driver at fault within one month of consulting a lawyer or six months from the date of the accident and most importantly must be within three years of the date of the accident
- Nominal defendant claim: If it’s not possible to identify the details of the person at-fault in the accident (such as a hit-and-run) then the injured party should file a nominal defendant claim as soon as possible but a complaint claim no later than nine months of the car accident.
How long will it take to receive compensation?
How long it takes to receive compensation will depend on your unique situation and the specific details of your motor vehicle accident case. Usually, it will take between one and three years, however, there are a few factors that can lengthen this process, including:
- Injuries sustained in the accident are still ongoing and being treated
- Your compensation claim with the insurance company has encountered issues
- court delays (if your claim needs to go to court or trial)
We’ll need to assess your situation and case to give you a rough estimate of when you can expect to receive compensation entitlements.
How much will I have to pay?
100% of the car accident claims we handle in QLD are dealt with on our No Win No Fee policy. You will only pay our fees if we are successful in winning your compensation claim.
We have an expert team of lawyers who have the experience and knowledge to achieve a successful result.
Who pays my compensation?
The person or organisation responsible for your car accident will be held accountable for your damages. In Queensland all drivers must be covered by a third party insurance (CTP) so in most cases, it’s the at fault parties insurance company who pays your compensation.
In Queensland, the Motor Accident Insurance Commission (MAIC) is the regulatory authority responsible for the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) scheme however it is the nominated CTP insurance company who indemnifies the at fault driver.
Meet The QLD Team
Our Queensland team cares about your circumstances. We’re experts in car accident claims and ensuring our clients receive the maximum amount of compensation for their suffering. Our Queensland team are experienced, friendly and knowledgeable lawyers, including:
Why Choose LHD Lawyers?
LHD Lawyers are a reliable and trusted Australian law firm that has been providing quality legal services to individuals through their times of hardship for over 25 years. We’ve helped thousands of Australians to get back on their feet and receive the compensation they deserve for circumstances that were out of their control.
We work on a No Win No Fee basis - so you won’t pay us a dollar unless we win your case! We look after all aspects of your case, supporting you through the preparation, representing you in court and helping to navigate through any issues. Our experienced and friendly lawyers will be there for you every step of the way to ensure a positive outcome, enabling you to recover and resume work in peace.