Have you experienced abuse as a child? If so, you may be entitled to compensation through the National Redress Scheme or a Civil Action.

*Due to local restrictions, we can’t show certain information about our legal services in Queensland. For QLD specific information please visit our page on institutional abuse law to access relevant information.  

Am I eligible for a National Redress payment?

  • You suffered sexual abuse; and
  • The abuse happened before 1 July 2018; and
  • An institution was responsible for bringing you into contact with the person who abused you; and
  • You were born before 30 June 2010; and
  • You are an Australian citizen or permanent resident

Am I eligible for a Civil Action?

  • You suffered abuse or serious physical abuse or secondary psychological abuse 
  • You were under the age of 18 when you were abused

To find out whether you are eligible in these circumstances please contact us.

If an institution was not responsible for bringing you into contact with the person who abused you, please contact us to find out more about your rights.

How much will I receive?

Redress payments can range from less than $10,000 through to $150,000. Each claim is assessed on an individual basis.

The amount of damages you receive will vary depending on a number of factors including:

  • Your age at the time of the abuse
  • The type and frequency of abuse you suffered
  • The extent of the injury caused by the abuse
  • The extent the injury has impacted your life such as your pain and suffering, enjoyment of life and earning potential

If an institution was not responsible for bringing you into contact with the person who abused you, it can be difficult to receive a payment of damages from the person directly. If this applies to you, please contact us to speak to our expert legal team.

How long do I have to make a claim?

A claim for damages is usually subject to a limitation period applicable to the state where the abuse occurred. If you were a child at the time of the abuse you may not have a time limit as most states have removed the time frame for making claims for historical childhood abuse. We recommend contacting us to discuss the time limits applicable to your claim.

Claims for redress under the National Scheme must be made prior to 30 June 2027.

How much will it cost to submit my claim?

Here at LHD Lawyers, we understand the stress and trauma that comes from not only being in active service, but then having an injury or illness impact your standard of living. Your current financial position should not be a barrier to you receiving fair and impartial legal advice, which is why we are proud to offer our No Win No Fee arrangement for all of our compensation clients.

What does this mean? No Win No Fee ensures that only if your case is successful will you need to pay our legal fees (which will be agreed up-front). If your claim does not succeed and you do not receive compensation, then you will not be required to pay any legal fees. Please note that you may incur additional costs during your case such as the cost to retrieve medical records or acquire expert reports. You will be fully notified and your approval required before we proceed with any of these.

How do I make a claim?

You may contact us for an obligation free consultation to discuss your eligibility and potential entitlements.